why hurricanes are named after people

by - 4:55 PM

fear was quiet,
she kept to herself. 
she was the type of girl people read books about. 
fear wore a cross necklace every day
but she didn't believe in god. 

fear always wore socks, 
because she never knew when her feet might get cold.
she wore 3 rings 
but she would never put them on her middle finger.
and she never let her feet hang off the side of the bed.


her family motto was "live to the fullest"
they thought it was clever because their last name was ful. 

on her phone at family reunions,
head down in the hallways,
by herself in the lunchroom,
windows down but no music playing in the parking lot.

fear was never the type of person to believe in love, 
her wallpaper on her phone proved it.
and she believed that anyone would lose their mind trying to understand hers. 

but he was the type of person to call take out for her,
only every other time.
he forced her into thinking those monsters were inside her head,
not under her bed.

she started to believe that it was okay to go barefoot,
it was okay to take the sheets off for once.
fear learned that it was okay to outgrow people.

she looked for him in the hallways, 
invited him to family reunions, 
and fear made sure to blast her music so loud in the parking lot because she knew he would hear. 

he taught her in ways no teacher could,
he loved her in ways no mother could.

when he left, 
fear changed. 
fear disappeared.
fear moved away, 
and she changed her last name to less.

You May Also Like

15 comments

  1. my favorite blog I have ever read. Amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hit me really hard. You are amazing. I'm going to try and read your blog every week now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that was unlike anything else and so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah... This hit me. Seriously well done. You're unreal

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is INCREDIBLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Agnes,

    This is




    Look, I don't feel like trying to put my thoughts and feelings into words. That's really difficult and I'm too emotional right now. I don't know why this post made me so emotional. Maybe it was the truth. Maybe it was the last names. Maybe it was a song I was listening to while reading it (Latch Cover by Daniela Andrade from Dorris Rue's blog). Maybe it was because you wrote about fear the way most people write about love. Maybe it was the cross necklace and maybe it was God.

    But I freaking loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was really pretty. And it was moving, but mostly I thought it was pretty, especially the first part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reread this post and I had to comment again and just remind you that your writing is beautiful and I don't know what it is about this post but I really really love it.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness you are amazing and I love the "flu" to "less" thing, And dang, you make me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is probably one of my favorite posts ever. I loved how you made fear feel human and just the way you worded everything was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That title got me expecting something great and this definitely lived up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my the ending was one of the best I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. she believed that anyone would lose their mind trying to understand hers.

    ful.
    less.

    UGH so good!

    ReplyDelete