symphony no. 18

by - 1:29 PM

at four years old my fingers
touched the keys for the first time
and i wondered why the only song i could play
was called "chopsticks"

six years old i was finally big enough 
to tell people i play,
without them thinking i was kidding

ten years old i wrote down 
"musician" when asked to 
describe myself in one word 

 eleven years old i learned to 
express my feelings 
in scales and chords

at thirteen i quit lessons 
because it wasn't cool anymore

fifteen years old i thought 
that the guitar
could make me feel the same way

sixteen years old i forgot
that my outlet contained 52 white keys
and 36 black

seventeen years old i played for him, 
because i never did 
when he was on this side of the country


eighteen years young i am playing for me,

and i don't care who's listening




You May Also Like

15 comments

  1. You caught so much with just this one aspect of your life. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how personal this is without being overbearing. i love discovering who you are through your blog because you are truly intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, so inspiring in just a few words. I wish I could tell stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post. I wish that I could play, but all I can do is read the letters. #Quality

    ReplyDelete
  5. "eighteen years young i am playing for me,

    and i don't care who's listening"
    #stolen
    That was the best last line I have ever read

    ReplyDelete
  6. obsessed with this. first because it's written so well, second because I play piano and I totally understand the phases you went through. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man this is good! I feel like anyone that has ever played an instrument can relate to this, this is very very good!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I never see this what the heck.

    This is perfect and amazing and I feel it in so many ways.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was beauty. This was heart.

    I love the way you captured your relationship with "52 white keys and 36 black"
    I feel like I know you.

    *snaps*

    ReplyDelete
  10. "seventeen years old i played for him,
    because i never did
    when he was on this side of the country"

    dang.

    ReplyDelete