dictionary

by - 7:58 PM

in fifth grade english class we had to bring books to school.
i always forgot mine so my teacher made me read the dictionary

words on words on words i didn't understand i'd always end up staring at the ceiling tiles.

there was a word for that. 

daydream [noun]: a series of pleasant thoughts that distract one's attention from the present.

at one point i felt sorry for all the other kids in my class with fiction books because i was learning more words 
while they were learning more lies 

maybe junie b jones just wanted to be smart. 
maybe nancy drew didn't figure out the mystery. 
maybe i picked the wrong path in goosebumps, well i guess you die either way 

and everybody has a chapter they don't read out loud i understand that,
but you. 

you left out chapter one,
and chapter six,
chapter ten, seventeen, twenty one

you left out the prologue. 

and when i said read to me 
you said, "just for a minute"

but to me it sounded like you just memorized the words 

 you said, 
you said,
you said so many words that i swear used super glue to stick
themselves inside my brain
and oh how i wish i had enough acetone to get them off. 

you said you were insecure because you weren't strong enough
but apparently you had the strength to lie to my face.

and i don't know if i believe the dictionary anymore,
my daydreams don't seem very pleasant


You May Also Like

10 comments

  1. "you left out chapter one, and chapter six, chapter ten, seventeen, twenty one you left out the prologue. and when i said read to me you said, "just for a minute""

    beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. "but apparently you had the strength to lie to my face."
    this line is my life. my biggest pet peeve is when people lie to my face.
    think of how much different the world would be, if people didn't have the strength to lie to other peoples faces?

    you are amazing, and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. "you left out chapter one,
    and chapter six,
    chapter ten, seventeen, twenty one"

    "you said,
    you said,
    you said so many words that i swear used super glue to stick themselves inside my brain
    and oh how i wish i had enough acetone to get them off. "

    woah man this was an awesome post.
    So much feels.
    Thanks for allowing me to read this

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and everybody has a chapter they don't read out loud i understand that"
    #stolen
    This was fantastic! One of your best posts for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. but to me it sounded like you just memorized the words

    you're really good at this whole creative thing and i think the dictionary paid off because your words are beyond beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have read this three times & each time it somehow gets better

    ReplyDelete